The 2016 Great NEWS posts continue to enjoy sharing Healthy Habits to promote strategies for happiness, health and harmony. Today’s post is dedicated to helping people with simple suggestions to stay healthy during the cold and flu season. This information will provide helpful holistic health tips for you and your family to remain cold and flu free during the winter. If you do come down with a cold or flu these tips can help you recover quicker naturally and hopefully avoid the use of prescription antibiotics and pharmaceutical drugs and OTC drugs. My goal for this post is to share some simple natural cold and flu prevention and remedy suggestions.
Having recently over indulged in holiday sweet treats my body taught me a life lesson by being under the weather with a common cold. Unfortunately it also resulted in a serious sinus infection that lasted more than a week. Both of these together caused the cold and flu topic to really hit home hard and sent me searching my memory banks for holistic health protocols and natural remedies. Being a bit determined not to use antibiotics which can kill good bacteria in the gut as well as contribute to antibiotic resistant bacteria motivated me to try different natural approaches used in the past as well as search for some new ones.
Cold and Flu Prevention and Remedy
Here are some of my favorite cold and flu prevention suggestions. In the event you come down with a cold or flu it is well advised to implement as many of these natural remedy strategies as you can simultaneously.
- Begin a cleanse and detox program for 21 days. Avoid highly processed and refined carbohydrates and especially the wicked whites: bagels, bread, cakes, cereal, chips, cookies, crackers, flour, pasta, pizza, potato, rice, sugar and tortilla. Enjoy delicious and nutritious nutrient dense organic whole foods made into broth, juices, smoothies, soups, steamed veggies, teas, and tinctures.
- Alkalize and energize the body by avoiding and minimizing acid forming beverages and foods. Avoid fake, fast, Frankenfoods (GMO) and junk foods. Consume alkaline organic foods like fresh cactus, fruits (low sugar), grasses, green smoothies, mushrooms, salads, seeds, vegetable juices, veggies, sea weeds and wild foods.
- Do warm salt water irrigations using a neti pot. Follow up with a eucalyptus oil or oregano oil steam vapor inhalant.
Use a few drops of hydrogen peroxide H2O2 in each ear to kill pathogens.
- Sip on warm cayenne, ginger, lemon, and raw honey tea.
- Use packs of Emergen C to make a potent and refreshing drink with health benefits.
- Consume a pinch of baking soda several times a day. Add sodium bicarbonate to water for a therapeutic mouth wash.
- Swish coconut oil in your mouth for several minutes to remove harmful bacteria. This is referred to as oil pulling. Any healthy raw oil can be used.
- Be sure to get adequate exposure to sunlight for Vitamin D and take a supplement to be sure in the winter.
- Take a good multi vitamin daily and a mega dose of Vitamin B complex and Vitamin C.
- Discover the benefits of medicinal mushroom teas & tinctures. Chaga and Reishi are particular favorites.
Holistic Harmony and Health
- Use herbal teas like cat’s claw, chamomile, dandelion, ginger, ginseng, green, hibiscus, nettle, pau d’arco, peppermint, tulsi and yerba mate.
- Be sure to take a good supplement with minerals and trace elements like iodine, magnesium, manganese, selenium, and zinc.
- Use an essential oil diffuser with eucalyptus, frankinsense, myrrh oroOregano oil.
- Use a Far Info Red heating pad or sauna.
- Use a throat spray made with 1 drop eucalyptus, 1 drop orange, 1 drop cinnamon, 1 drop clove and 1 drop myrrh essential oil in 2 ounce glass spray bottle plus distilled water:
- Dry skin brushing is a great way to release toxins, remove dead skin and restore resilience to our skin the largest organ for elimination.
- Consume turmeric and use a turmeric mouth wash.
Use a vapor inhalation with thyme, lavender and eucalyptus. Add drops to boiling water poured into a bowl and hang your head over bowl with towel over it. Breathe deeply.
- Use oregano capsules and infusion and irrigation because many believe it has the strongest antibiotic properties.
- Get plenty of sleep. Learn to hide, rest and restore the body, mind and spirit.
- Avoid toxic people, places and things. Enjoy connection, humor, laughter, love, peace and quiet.
- Meditation and yoga are great for restoring health and vigor.
- Healing and instrumental music is great for calming the mind and energizing the body.
- Massage and reflexology are great for helping the body restore balance.
The Healthy Habits 2016 series is excited to share steps to help improve our happiness, harmony and health. This post shared some simple cold and flu holistic health prevention and protocol suggestions. Avoiding unnecessary antibiotics use may be one of the best things you can do to improve your natural immune system and help prevent creating antibiotic resistant bacteria. Let us know what other ideas you have to prevent or deal with colds and flu.
What is your current Gap?
How well do you maintain your health and wellness during the winter months? There are eight areas in our Wheel of Life to consider. What massive actions plans are you making to retreat to a piece of paradise in a warm tropical setting? Are you curious about the international opportunities for an eco friendly, sustainable and wellness lifestyle we are creating in southern Belize? What area of our plans and programs mentioned in the five blog post series grabbed your highest interest?
Mastery Action Plan (MAP)
The Wellness Mama has a great article on natural remedies as well as a wide variety of valuable information regarding holistic health and wonderful wellness on her website. She does a great job of educating,people with helpful and valuable suggestions and tips.
Call to Action
What comments, commitments or concerns come to mind regarding holistic health tips for dealing with colds and flu? What other ideas and inspiration will help motivate you to plan a trip to discover Belize? What will motivate you do create a healthier lifestyle? Please put us in your contact details and monitor our eco community progress in paradise of southern Belize.
Next week the Great NEWS blog will share:
Top Tips for Cold and Flu Prevention and Remedy (Part 2)
PS: Comment, like, plus and share this blog on the social media page links because family, fans, followers and friends will also benefit from The Great NEWS Coach. Thanks for your helpful support.