The 2015 Great NEWS posts are dedicated to sharing easy to implement Healthy Habits. Today’s post is shared to Create Calm Clear Concise Confident Communications for even better relationships with family, fans and friends. One of the big challenges people face on a day to day basis is being appreciated, heard and understood. Billions of dollars are spent and wasted each year dealing with accidents, arguments, challenges, divorces, law suits, problems and upsets that are the result of poor communication skills. People around the world are dealing with the severe consequences caused by a lack of calm, clear, concise and confident communications. This post will offer healthy habits to maintain Calm Clear Concise Confident Communications.
If we are gifted with the amazing ability to communicate with various skill sets of body language, comprehending, listening, speaking and writing why is there excessive miscommunication and misunderstandings in the world today? Even with our beautiful body and brilliant brain we are often missing the boat in a large percentage of our daily communications with others and ourselves.
Adults frequently get in to agitation, altercations and arguments over the words they choose to use or not use. Kids feel they are not appreciated or loved by their family (parents, relatives and siblings) and friends (classmates, coach, friends, neighbors and teachers). Couples get caught up deceit, lies, hurtful words, misinterpretation, raising their voice, silent treatment and visual gestures that may not be good for their relationship or themselves.
Anything that causes communications to break down causes us to be less effective, efficient and empowered. This can easily escalate and lead to a reduction in our happiness, health, quality of life and standard of living. While we may think we are communicating clearly we often come across as confusing and complicated to others. The more we can do to ask questions, seek feedback and solicit understanding the better our chances of being heard and understood.
Words Determine Our Quality of Life
Communications in today’s world has the potential to be much better or much worse than it was in the past. With technology advances like language translation and voice recognition we are able to communicate with more people more easily. Unfortunately with the modern world we often forget how differently our community or culture may communicate compared to others. Today our world has become extremely challenging and complex as people attempt to communicate more ideas and information than at any time in our history.
That blog is dedicated to helping people improve their calm clear concise and confident communications to enhance their happiness, health and heart. Most of our arguments, confrontations and disagreements are the result of actions, choices, decisions or in actions based on our level of communication skills. Our goal, mission and passion is helping people be better educated, empowered and energized with calm, clear, concise, confident communications with others and themselves. This has a big bearing on our level of happiness, health and well being.
Simple Steps to Comprehensive Communications
These keys will help unlock the secrets to great communications:
- Accepting and appreciating the other person comments, point of view and thinking is imperative for good communications. We do not need to agree and yet we do need to be able to fully hear and understand what someone is sharing.
- Active listening is more beneficial than speaking. Our creator gave us two ears and one mouth so maybe we are meant to listen twice as much as we speak. “When you talk you are only repeating what you already know, but if you listen you may learn something new.” – Dali Lama
- Be aware of the direction, distance, tone and volume of your communication with others. We all have different preferences and tolerance.
- Being courteous, friendly, genuine, honest, open, sincere and transparent does matter. People can sense when you are being arrogant, deceitful, in congruent, insincere, manipulative, sleazy or unsure.
- Develop great habits and language patterns with all the children in or around your life. Children are like Mynah birds and repeat back what they hear. Use your best communication and interaction skills with children. They deserve it. The saying that “sticks and stone can break my bones but words will never hurt me” is false. Words can leave emotional wounds that hurt more and last longer than physical injuries.
- Direct communications is very important so the message is delivered by the sender as they want it delivered. Assumptions, rumors and third party interpretations usually distort the intended message.
- Honesty with our self and all others is essential to our integrity and reputation. Once you omit the truth or tell a fib, lie or white lie you are damaging others and your self. There are no inconsequential lies. Every lie has consequences. We end up telling more lies to support the original lie and we get caught up in a vicious cycle of lying.
- Learn to look someone in the eye when you are speaking with them. We all want to feel the connection and respect when speaking or being spoken to.
- Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) has a significant influence on how we ling our actions, emotions, feelings, thoughts and words. Everything we do, feel, hear, say, see, taste and touch over our lifetime is interconnected and linked to our entire nervous system.
- Open body language refers to uncrossed arms and legs that leave the listener open for receiving all the communications and message the other is offering.
- Open communications means being able to discuss any subject or topic that a person feels a need or reason to discuss in order to be heard and understood. If for some reason the timing or environment is not optimal share that and arrange for a better moment.
- Opening your heart refers to allowing a person to feel like there is a heart to heart connection so that communications are given and received with empathy, sincerity and sympathy.
- Open mind means allowing your brain to open up and be willing to listen to conflicting, different, new and unknown comments.
- Realize everyone is entitled to their freedom of speech and opinion and. Even if you do not agree with what they say you can at least be respectful and listen or be honest and state you are not interested to listen at this moment and will let them know if and when you are ready and open.
Rub your ear to enhance your listening skills. This activates the acupressure points along the ear and also send a kinesthetic message to your brain to listen more closely. This is a great tip to help children listen better at home and school.
- Safe communications means being allowed to share how you feel and think about a subject or topic without fear of repercussions or resentment.
- Talking sticks are a great way to allow one person (holding the stick) to talk while all others are listening. Only the person with the talking stick is allowed to speak and all others must listen.
- The body language, tone and words used in communications have a massive influence on the message delivered. Studies have found that the quality of communications is determined to be 55% body language, 38% the tone of voice and only 7% is the actual words spoken.
- Think before you speak is great advise and profound words of wisdom. Words can be weapons or do wonderful things. Think carefully and choose wisely before you speak.
- Word become our world so speak, think and write carefully.
The Healthy Habits 2015 series offers simple suggestions to help create and maintain our happiness, health and harmony. Establishing calm, clear, concise, confident communications is healthy habit to enhance and improve your most relationships. It is one of the most important skills for us to constantly update and upgrade. When we realize that the quality of our life and well being depends completely on the quality of our communications we begin to see how important this life skill is to continually develop and improve. It impacts our emotional, financial, mental, physical, relationship and spiritual health. We all deserve and desire to be happy, healthy and loved so it is up to each of us to do our part to create calm, clear, concise, confident in our communications.
This Great NEWS post on Healthy Habits shared some simple steps to be a better communicator. We must each do our part to be great communicators and listeners.
What is your current Gap?
What things are you doing that you know are causing yur communications to be less effective and efficient?
Mastery Action Plan (MAP)
What mastery action plans will you put in place to help build your communication skills? List some simple steps you will do to improve you quality of communications. What research, resources and role models will help guide the way to more calm, clear, concise, confident communications for you and your family and friends? Dale Carnegie and Toastmasters International are excellent resources to improve our communications skills.
Call to Action
What comments, commitments or concerns come to mind regarding comprehensive communication skills that will enhance the quality of life? What other ideas and inspiration will help motivate us towards better behaviors, beliefs and biology for a great 2015 and beyond?
Next week the Great NEWS blog will share:
Connect with Your Color Psychology
PS: Comment, like, plus and share this blog on the social media page links because family, fans, followers and friends will also benefit from The Great NEWS Coach and Transformation Life Coaching (TLC). Thanks for your helpful support.
Leave a Reply