How would you rate the quality and quantity of your sleep on a consistent basis (six out of seven nights) on a scale of Zero (terrible tossing and turning) to Ten (super soothing slumber)? Most people seem to be struggling with sleep deprivation and disruption, which leads to health issues and low energy. If a healthy, independent and long life is important to you, then Morningstar NEWS with Simple Sleep Sanctuary Suggestions is here to help.
“It is vital to develop a regular routine of relaxation and sleep strategies to prevent disease and program your body to be happy, healing, and healthy.” —Michael Morningstar
If our body and brain do not get the quality and quantity of optimal sleep cycles for regeneration, renewal, rest, and restoration our quality of life will begin to suffer. Over time this ongoing sleep deprivation and disruption increase our risks for many diseases and health issues. These Simple Sleep Sanctuary Suggestions offer a basic road map for healthy habits to help people improve their sleep and also boost their emotional, mental and physical well-being.
Relaxation, rest, and sleep play a major role in our energy, health, and longevity. It is essential to get at least six days a week of consistent healthy sleep if you want to enjoy high quality and high-performance life. The quality and quantity of our sleep are like a million-dollar life insurance policy or lottery ticket. By getting quality rest you can save in sick care costs, sick time and saving yourself the pain and suffering. Sleep is a key part of our health and wealth so it is up to you to decide the level of health you desire.
Our beliefs and behaviors determine our priorities and problems in life. Quality sleep is key to maintaining peak performance. Remember…when we stop sleeping soundly and sufficiently…we start a downward spiral of sickness, strain, and stress that can accelerate the transition to eternal everlasting sleep.
Simple Sleep Sanctuary Suggestions
Many people do not realize how many things and thoughts in our fast-paced and modern life are impeding and interfering with our quality and quantity of sleep. For better sleep we must first identify the sabotages to sleep and then focus on the sleep solutions.
The following strategies and suggestions can make a major difference in the quality and quantity of your sleep if you will implement them to create a sleep sanctuary:
- Addictive behaviors before bedtime and during the day are a major consequence and source of sleep struggles and stress. Addictions to alcohol, caffeine, cell phones, drugs, eating, electronics, gambling, gaming, lotteries, pornography, shopping, social media, sugar, tobacco, and TV set a person up for sleep issues.
- Air quality is important for a good night’s sleep. Avoid chemicals, dust, and smoke that can harm your health. Clean and fresh air is helpful for a better night of restful sleep.
- Ayurvedic health principles have several tips regarding quality sleep. People go into a Pita (dosha) cycle from 22:00 to 02:00 and it is vital to be asleep at this time to digest the emotions, experiences, food, and information from the day. Being awake during this time disrupts the balance and health of our body, mind, and spirit.
- Bed frames can be harmful or helpful depending on design and materials. Did you know that metal bed frames can conduct electricity and interfere with your sleep?
- Beverages before bedtime can be responsible for trips to the bathroom. Avoid drinking fluids two hours before bedtime.
- Breathing quality is key to quality sleep. If your sinuses are blocked or problematic find a functional medicine doctor to help. Essential oils and sinus irrigation can help with better sleep.
- Chemical-free cleaners & deodorizers are important for quality sleep.
- Circadian rhythm is our biological clock synchronized with the rotation of earth, seasons, and time of day. The optimal time for sleep is timed with darkness.
- The detergent used for cleaning clothes and sheets can affect your skin and sleep quality. Avoid synthetic chemicals and fragrances as much as possible. Use eco-friendly products as much as possible.
- Dirty electricity in the bedroom can impact your health and sleep. There are devices and experts to help you reduce dirty electricity in the bedroom and home.
- Eating unhealthy foods in an unhealthy way often leads to sleep issues. Proper food chewing, choices, and combining is important for health and healthy sleep.
- Electronics in the bedroom and house can have many negative consequences. Keep your cell phone, computer, and TV out of the bedroom at night.
- Emotions play a major role in our life and sleep. Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) can be a very helpful therapy to reduce emotional issues and support better sleep.
- Electro-Magnetic Frequencies (EMF) and Electro-Magnetic Radiation (EMR) can have a major impact on your quality of sleep. Be careful to avoid electronic devices, routers, smart meters, and Wifi while you sleep. There are devices and diagnostics that can measure the level of EMR you are being exposed to in your home.
- Feng Shui is an ancient Asian philosophy that focuses on the subtle energy, information, and vibrations that exist in and around your life. Do a little research into the benefits and concepts of Feng Shui that have been practiced for thousands of years rather than being a Doubting Thomas and allowing negative energies to impact your life.
- Hoʻoponopono is a Hawaiian holistic prayer and process to help with happiness, healing, and health. Consider saying this Hawaiian prayer a few minutes before going to bed to clear your head and heart of heavy and hurtful feelings and thoughts.
- Humming is a great way to relax your vagus nerve to reduce stress and restore better sleep.
- Light exposure during the night interferes with our quality of sleep. New sleep studies have found that blue lights and fluorescent lights before bedtime and during the night interfere with how our body signals the endocrine system and sets our sleep cycles. Avoiding blue lights during darkness and wearing blue blocker glasses can help.
- Mantras and mudras can support soothing sleep and be therapeutic. Breathing and chanting Sat Ta Na Ma as you touch your thumb to your fingertips can be like magic fairy dust for better sleep.
- Mattress quality can directly impact sleep quality. If a mattress or pillow has dander, mites, or mold it needs to be cleaned or replaced. Old and sagging mattresses can cause sleep issues. Size does matter when it comes to beds so choose wisely.
- Medicine abuse, misuse, and overuse is a big issue affecting many people’s sleep. Too many people are taking too many medications that have negative side effects.
- Meditation is great to rejuvenate and restore mental peace and tranquility which can help people enjoy a better night’s sleep.
- Mold is a big problem in many foods and homes and can inhibit the quality of your sleep. Avoid foods that may contain molds and clean your home to remove mold.
- Noise pollution is a major problem that affects our day and night mood and sleep state. Snoring and sounds at night can prevent the deep and restful sleep we all need.
- Nutrition quality plays a direct role in sleep quality. What and when you eat affects your digestion and biorhythms. Avoid junk foods and choose superfoods.
- Pillow shape, size, and stuffing material can affect our sleep. Hypoallergenic and thinner pillows are better than big pillows with chemicals and contaminants.
- Positions people sleep in can affect their quality of sleep. Sleep studies can be very helpful to identify what and when you enjoy better sleep.
- Prayer before bedtime can be a great way to decompress and de-stress before sleep. Being in a beautiful state prior to sleep sets us up for better sleep success.
- Relationship stress or relationship tranquility can have a direct impact on sleep quality. Find ways to communicate more effectively and efficiently to enhance your relationships and create raving relationships.
- Rituals and routines are important for sleep and success. Sleep success definitely benefits from developing some soothing sleep strategies and maintaining sleep rituals.
- Safety in all areas of our life is very important for a sound sleep. If people are fearful or worried about their safety it can definitely hinder quality sleep. Using alarms, dogs, locks, motion sensors or other security measures can help people feel more safe and secure which can enhance sleep quality.
- Seasons play a key role in our daily routines and sleep patterns. Learn to adapt and adjust to the different seasons so you can be season and sleep synchronized.
- Sheets that are washed in strong chemical detergents with artificial fragrances can hinder your sleep quality.
- The sense of smell is one of our strongest senses and can harm our sleep or help our sleep. Avoid food smells and smoke in the evening. Use frankincense, lavender, or sandalwood to enhance sleep quality.
- Spoonk acupressure point pads can be a super sleep support strategy. With 6210 acupressure points, some jokingly call this sleeping on a bed of nails. You have to try it for a few weeks to see if it works for you. Mine has become such a supportive routine I also have a small size Spoonk sleep pad for travel.
- Stress is a big issue in our modern western societies and hinders people from enjoying a good night’s sleep. My blog on the Tips to Tame Tone Tune the Vegas Nerve Today has many strategies and suggestions to help calm the vagus nerve and reduce stress.
- Supplements can be beneficial for health and a super sleep support strategy: Some of my favorites sleep support supplements are ashwagandha, kava root, licorice root, magnesium, MCT oil, and Valerian root.
- The temperature in the bedroom during sleep can play a big role in the quality of sleep you enjoy. Many sleep experts feel a cooler temperature at night supports better sleep.
- The time that you establish for a normal bedtime is worth serious consideration. Many sleep experts recommend being in bed by 21:00 and no food after 19:00.
- Treasure maps and vision boards are a great way to set a GPS course for your body and brain during the day and night. By looking at your boards early in the morning and before going to bed you program your body, mind, and spirit to align and direct your actions, behaviors, and thoughts for the life you deserve and desire. Be sure to put some key ideas regarding sleep quality since that deals with a key 25% to 33% of each day of your life.
- Turn off the negative news and avoid violent movies and shows for at least several hours before bedtime. Avoiding them whenever possible can change your life.
- Verbalize and visualize what was great about your day before going to bed. Give gratitude and thanks for the many blessings in your life. A gratitude journal helps.
- Waking in the middle of the night gives clues to pay attention to. Maybe it was too much alcohol, food, or liquids too close to bedtime. Avoid anything 2 hours before bedtime.
- Water is important for happiness and health. It is best to drink more water early in the morning and afternoon and then taper off the liquids by 19:00 so the body can release them before you settle down to sleep.
- Yoga poses can be a great way to rejuvenate, relax and renew the body, mind, and spirit a few hours before bedtime. Say yes to yoga for youthful sleep.
All of the Simple Sleep Sanctuary Suggestions are easy to do and offer great benefits when you make quality sleep a super-smart priority. Remember…sleep success is a vital part of our beneficial biofeedback, biology, biorhythms, body, and brain that influences your emotional, mental, and physical health and longevity. Peak performance comes from exercise and fitness training for your body and brain. Poor performance is the result of poor choices and decisions. What sleep sanctuary suggestions will empower you to make choices and decisions for sound sleep?
Passion for People & Planet
The passion and purpose of Morningstar NEWS are to condense hundreds of hours of rewarding research down to two minutes of education, information, and inspiration for a healthy lifestyle and mindset. The information in this blog about Simple Sleep Sanctuary Suggestions can help you enjoy better sleep which can improve your overall happiness, healing, and health.
Beauty sleep strategies are important if your beauty and health are important.
Next Morningstar NEWS blog
PS: Thank you for your helpful support. After benefiting from one idea be social and share so others can benefit too. Comment, like, plus and share this blog on the social media page links because family, fans, and friends will also benefit from the Morningstar NEWS blog.