As the crazy coronavirus conditions continue and things look gloomy now may be the perfect time to develop your be-prepared plan (Plan B) to include healthy food for your family. As debt increases, energy and fuel problems persist, higher inflation, manufacturing stalls, signals of a stalled economy appear, and supply chain issues continue, many people are looking for bargain best buys for a family food foundation.
The following tips can help you be more efficient and self-sufficient regarding your family food foundation. This blog is designed to share some of the bargain best buys for a family food foundation to ensure your family is well-fed during these crazy coronavirus conditions and a worrisome winter. Many people are struggling financially and are looking for help finding the bargain best buys for a family food foundation. With these simple steps, you can be better prepared to survive and thrive during the challenges and uncertainties occurring now and in the future.
One of the best ways to stay healthy is to shop smarter and prepare healthy food at home. A family can save money shopping and eating at home instead of buying food from fake, fast, and junk food vendors. This blog offers simple steps and terrific tips that you can use to preserve your health and preserve your wealth. It is fairly easy to create food security during the crazy coronavirus conditions and economic chaos when you create a plan to be prepared and shop smarter. These shopping tips are designed to help you find the bargain best buys for a family food foundation that will also boost your health and immune system.
The passion and purpose of Morningstar NEWS are to help people be better informed and prepared so they can make better decisions. Remember…companies pay big bucks to advertise and divert our attention with distractions and enticements to influence our behaviors, beliefs, and thinking and sell us fast, fake, and Frankenstein foods. See my previous blog about avoiding Fake Frankenstein Foods and buying budget-friendly family foods.
Finding the best bargains and budget buys requires advanced planning and thought. Consider joining a buyer club or coop and buying as a group. Look for surplus crops in season. Fall is the best time for a surplus of many animal and crop products. Look for deep discounts and special sales. Shop at Asian and other ethnic markets. Find big box stores or specialty stores that sell in bulk and large packages. Buy directly from farmers and order a side of beef or several dozen whole chickens at a time and share the purchase.
Halloween pumpkins are cheap and during Diwali (a Hindu festival) the Indian stores are running big sales on many nourishing pulses (blackeye peas, butter beans, chickpeas, cowpeas, dahl, fava, lentils, lupine, mung beans, and pigeon peas). Be prepared to store the dry goods in bug and pest-resistant containers. Can, dehydrate, or ferment many fresh produce items for long-term storage. Be prepared and process foods into smaller packages for the chest freezer, refrigerator, pantry, or root cellar.
Be Prepared – Bargain Best Buys for a Family Food Foundation
- Beans: bulk & dried (black, kidney, Lima, navy, pinto, red, white beans)
- Beef (ground meat or sausage)
- Cactus (nopales and tuna)
- Chicken (drumsticks and parts are the best value because with bones and skin you can make bone broth)
- Coconut oil and Extra virgin olive oil
- Corn tortillas
- Flour (to make homemade sourdough bread)
- Fruits (apples, bananas, cranberries, dates, limes, mangoes, melons, oranges, pineapples, plantain, prunes, raisins, and tangerines in season are the best value)
- Green veggies (cabbage, chard, collards, dandelion, kale, lettuce, mustard greens, sesame greens, and spinach)
- Herb and seeds for a victory garden (basil, cilantro, dill, garlic, onions, oregano, parsley, peppers, rosemary, thyme, turmeric)
- Honey (raw)
- Hot dogs (look for natural and uncured)
- Jam & Jelly (large jars with minimal sugar)
- Mushrooms (dried)
- Nuts (raw almonds, Brazil nuts, pecans, walnuts)
- Pasta & pasta sauce
- Pulses and legumes (blackeye peas, chickpeas, cowpeas, dahl, green peas, lentils, mung beans, yellow peas)
- Pumpkins & winter squash (acorn, banana, buttercup, butternut, Hubbard, kabocha, Panama, pumpkin, and spaghetti squash)
- Rice (black, brown, cargo, red, and white)
- Root vegetables (beets, carrot, jicama, onions, red potato, parsnip, radish, turnip, and sweet potato)
- Salmon, sardines, and tuna canned in spring water
- Seeds (chia, flax, pumpkin, quinoa, sunflower)
- Spices (black pepper, cayenne, chili powder, cinnamon, sea salt, and turmeric season food and have medicinal benefits)
- Squash (pumpkin and winter squash)
- Seaweeds (dried seaweed is low cost and requires minimal space)
- Sugar (bulk bag)
- Tomatoes (canned or dried)
- Vegetables from Victory garden (cucumbers, okra, onions, peppers, squash, and tomatoes)
- Wild foods can be foraged for free. Learn to look for wild apples, berries, cacti, greens, moringa, muscadine grapes, mushrooms, mustard, and rosehips. Harvesting wild animals and fish may be an option in many areas. Be sure to check the local regulations.
Nutrition is vital to maintaining our health and immune system. Be sure to avoid the temptation of fake, fast, and Frankenstein foods that are made with artificial ingredients, Genetically Engineered (GE) crops, and synthetic compounds. Shopping for bargain best buys and preparing healthy home-cooked whole food meals will help provide your family with nutrient-dense foods that provide the essential antioxidants, enzymes, fiber, minerals, phytonutrients, trace elements, and vitamins. That is how to keep you and your family happy and healthy on a budget.
Passion for People & Planet
The passion and purpose of Morningstar NEWS are to condense hundreds of hours of reading and research down to two minutes of education, information, and inspiration. This blog is shared so you can be prepared to find the bargain best buys for a family food foundation to stay happy and healthy.
“Remember, our ancestors discovered ways to survive and thrive during hard times by being clever and creative. Those genes are in your DNA right now. So it is vital to be prepared and tap into your epigenetic (lifestyle) and genetic (inherited) wisdom to find the bargain best buys for a family food foundation now and stock up.” —Michael Morningstar
Next Morningstar NEWS blog
PS: Thank you for your helpful support. After benefiting from one idea, please comment, like, and share this blog on the social media page links because family and friends will also benefit from the Morningstar NEWS blog.